Friday, November 14, 2008

An Inter-racial Family

I just read a post on a Yahoo.group that totally remind me of where I was just a few weeks ago...before we told my family about our decision. The post was on starting an interracial family in the rural midwest where the population is 99% caucasian. I must admitt that I struggled with this idea for a while but then I talked with a friend of mine whose family had adopted two children, one from China and the other from Sierre Leone. With her help and along with lots of prayer I came to the following conclusion:
We are drawn to Ethiopia for a reason and I believe that reason is to help a child. Would we be happy just with our three boys? Yes, we would be happy just having our three boys but we feel that our family is missing someone and that we are being called to help a child in need. We feel that a lot of people out there are helping children here in the United States and a lot are helping children from Europe and Asia but there seems to be a need for people willing to adopt from Africa. Ethiopia's culture is an amazing one and the people there are truly beautiful. I try to keep that in mind when people look at me and say "why a black child"? We already love our child and have yet to complete our home study! That is what I need to keep in mind. The minute people see our child they will not see his/her color. I truly believe that people are good and will get past their prejudices if they are given the chance. If they don't that is their own fault and I will avoid them or ignore them -- which will be hard but all I need to do is remember that my child looks like me. MY child will have two eyes, a nose, ears, a mouth...all the features I have. MY child will also have skin, just like me, who cares what the color of that skin is...it does not change how I feel or my ability to love and care for your child!
God would not be leading me here if it was not where I was suppose to go.
To the women I respond to...I pray that all goes well for you and your family should you chose to adopt from Ethiopia!

1 comment:

Paula said...

Maggie, I "know" you from the Yahoo groups... just wanted to offer support. We're from the rural midwest too, eastern Nebraska, and are facing the same issues you are. But we too decided that Ethiopia was where God wanted us to find our daughter. Good luck as you begin your process.

Led by Him